“Wait, does being “healthy” mean I can’t go out to eat? I really like going out to eat!”
“I’m going out tonight. How do I not ruin all my progress?”
These are some of the common questions I get from my newest members of my monthly health and fitness challenge groups. I used to wonder the same thing but over time have amassed a fool-proof plan for going out to eat without throwing your goals to the curb.
Choose a restaurant with healthy options.
- Check out the menu BEFORE going and choose what you’ll have after investigating the nutritional content (avoid fried food, be aware of high sodium content, no creamy sauces).
- Have a small snack before leaving so you won’t be starving . This way, you can avoid the pre-meal chips or rolls that some restaurants bring out.
- If available, ask for egg whites for omelets or other egg dishes.
- Ask your server for your cooked veggies to be plain, no butter or seasoning (restaurants soak them in butter and salt but they don’t need all that to be good y’all!).
- Ask for dressings to be on the side if you order salad.
- Don’t clean your plate. Restaurants always give you more than a regular serving size and you won’t need it!
- If you order dessert, stick to mini desserts or be sure to share with the whole table.
- For drinks, have a glass of wine or ask if there’s a “skinny” version of your favorite cocktail, such as the skinny margarita.
Any more tips that you’ve found that work for you? Share in the comments! I’m always looking for more!